A native of USA and relocated to Singapore since 2006, Amber has had a passion for moving the body from early childhood with gymnastics & dance. This love, combined with 20 years of study & practice in the areas of Yoga, Ayurveda & Meditation, as well as a PhD in Biomedical Engineering in the field of stem-cell tissue repair, contribute to Amber's unique perspective on healing & self-discovery through the combinatorial influence of scientific and ancient wisdoms.
As a way to find balance among the rigours of a PhD program, Yoga found Amber in 1999. The practice quickly became a way of life, a refuge, and a catalyst for incredible transformations and opportunities. In the years to follow, Amber began to study Ayurveda alongside her biomedical research, finding the bridge
between Eastern and Western practices, and further deepening her love of Yoga. Since 2000, Amber has studied directly under the tutelage of many Masters, learning to share Active Meditations (using sound & movement), as well as being certified in more than 900 hours of Universal Yoga, Hatha Yoga, Yin Yoga, Prenatal/Postnatal Yoga & Mindful Birth, Elemental Yoga Therapy and 1400 hours of Ayurvedic Lifestyle Counselling. Among the wealth of trainings that Amber has completed, they include experiences with Krishnamarchya Yoga Mandiram, in the heart of the Anapurna Mountains of Nepal in remote monastic villages, 8 weeks of noble silence and practice in a traditional ashram of India, mentorship with world renowned Ayurveda Acharyas and Vaidyars, pilgrimages to the feet of Masters, and personal study for more than a decade with Sannyasins, Lamas and other Teachers. Amber is also certified in Level 2 Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki, Raw Food Chef and as a Prenatal and Postpartum Birth Doula.
In 2009, Amber founded a community in the heart of Singapore known as Satsanga where she offered and organised weekly active meditation classes, yoga, kirtans, international retreats & community events. For more than 8 years, Amber dedicated to the blossoming of this community, holding space for conscious growth in this urban landscape. After the birth of her little one and the beautiful entry into motherhood, Amber shifted into her current offerings, which include mothering her star-baby, supporting her family, continued work with group immersions and retreats, festival participation & organisation and working on more individual basis through her new venture of Embodied Living. This work is a holistic platform for empowering others to find their inner and outer harmony through a variety of practices including breathwork, nutrition, constitutional analysis, yoga, meditation and daily rhythms. Part of this dharma particularly focuses on empowering women to have a conscious pregnancy, birth experience and preparedness for motherhood.
Amber currently resides in Singapore while also traveling internationally, in partnership with her husband (and Little Yogini), to share dance, conscious movement, yoga, meditation, love, laughter and light world wide!
• Birth Assistant (Doula), Singapore, 2018
• Founded and running a conscious community in Singapore, Satsanga, since 2009; facilitating weekly yoga, meditation, dance, Ayurveda classes and workshops; organising guest facilitators' events, workshops & international retreats; offering 1:1 private wellness consultations
• Yoga Teacher at HOM Yoga Singapore (Prenatal, Postnatal, Elemental Yoga, Ayurveda, special workshops), April 2018 - present
• Co-Organiser of Sound & Silence Gatherings MOVE LISTEN BE (conscious festival), 2 - 22 Sept, Corfu, Greece 2017
• Facilitated Elemental Yoga & Active Meditations internationally at Bali Spirit Festival (2014 - 2018), Soulscape Singapore (2015 - 2016), Thailand Yoga Art & Dance Festival (2016), Sound & Silence Gatherings Corfu Greece (2016 - 2017)
• Facilitated Active & Sound Meditations, and Yoga, at Banjaran Hotsprings Staff Training, Ipoh, Malaysia, 2015, 2017
• Developed & Taught 6-Day Meditation Facilitator Training, Singapore, 2015-2018
• Organised more than 18 International Meditation & Yoga Retreats (Bali, Thailand, Malaysia)
• Developed online Elemental Yoga & Meditation videos 2015
• Developed and Taught Intro to Ayurveda 6-week Course, biannually, 2014 - present
• Guest Yoga Teacher Trainer in the HOM Yoga 200 hr TT, 2013 - 2017
• Taught Active Meditations at Google Headquarters, Singapore, 2013 - 2014
• PhD, Biomedical Engineering, University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA, 2005
• Masters, Biomedical Engineering, University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA, 2002
• 16 International Peer Reviewed Publications in the area of Bone Tissue Engineering and Stem Cell Tissue Repair, 2001 - 2014 (5 are first-authored)
♡ Co-facilitating International Active Meditation Retreats (2010 - present); Teaching weekly active meditations at Satsanga (2009 - present); guest meditation facilitator at Hom Yoga (2012 - present), Stretch City (2014), and Over the Rainbow Foundation (2014); Corporate Active Meditation Facilitator at Google, Inc (2013 - 2015); International Festivals (Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Bali, Greece, Czech Republic), Founder & Teacher of Satsanga Active Meditation Training (2015-2018)
• Continuous study & assistance under the guidance of Swami Maitreya, learning to share Active Meditations, organise meditation retreats and facilitate meditation workshops (2009 - present).
• The Potential Project, 10-week Foundation Course in Corporate Mindfulness Based Training, 2014
• Shamata Meditation Foundation Course, Levels 1 - 4, AuthentiCity (Jan 2012 - June 2014)
• Vipassana 10-day retreat at Dhammagiri, Igatpuri, India (Jan 2011), teachings of SN Goenkaji
• Vipassana 10-day silent meditation retreat (April 2009), teachings of SN Goenkaji, Singapore
♡ HOM Yoga Teacher, Singapore (April 2018 - present), Teaching weekly Yoga at Satsanga (2009 - 2016), guest Yoga Teacher Trainer at Hom Yoga (2012 - 2017, part of Nike's Hom Yoga TT; teaching Yoga Philosophy & History, Subtle Anatomy, Pranayama, Meditation, Ayurveda), Created online Elemental Yoga Videos
• Mindful Birth Teacher Training Yoga for Pregnancy, Birth and Baby, Modules 1 - 3, RPYS certifiable (Prenatal Yoga, Postnatal Yoga, Yoga for Active Birth), 100 hours with Michelle Papa and Dr Jean Byrne, 29 Sept - 8 Oct 2015, Singapore
• Universal Yoga Teacher Training with Master Andrey Lappa, 100 hours Yoga Alliance Certifiable (Nov 28 – 7 Dec 2014): Level 2 UY Theory & Practice: Mandala Asana Sequences, Pranayama, Mudra, Mantra, Bandhas, Shiva Nata
• Elemental Yoga Therapy Training (200hr), Swara Yoga School, Portugal, July – Aug 2013
• Universal Yoga Internal Practices, Level 3 UY (Mahasiddha lineage of Vajrayana Buddhism), led by Master Andrey Lappa, June 18 – 29, 2011), 100 hours Yoga Alliance Certifiable
• Private Yoga Study of Universal Yoga with Master Andrey Lappa, Lama Phuntsok of Karma Kagyu Lineage and select students, 3 weeks, Anapurna Himalayan Mountains, Manang, Nepal (April 2011)
• Yin Yoga Teacher Training with Paul Grilley, 30 hours Yoga Alliance Certifiable (12 – 17 Feb, 2011): Anatomy, Chakra Meridians, Yin Yoga
• Universal Yoga Teacher Training with Master Andrey Lappa, 100 hours Yoga Alliance Certifiable (Dec 1 – 12, 2010): Level 1 UY Theory & Practice: Mandala Asana Sequences, Pranayama, Mudra, Mantra, Bandhas, Shiva Nata
• Bhayala College of Yoga, Saharanpur, India (14 Jan 2010 – 28 Feb 2010): 6 week daily study in Raja & Hatha Yoga with Sri Raj Pal (meditation, pranayama, asana, yoga philosophy), including 45 days of silence
• Krishnamacharya Yoga Mandiram (2nd February – 27 February 2009) Certificate in 4-week Heart of Yoga Intensive (yoga asana, philosophy, sutras, yoga therapy, vedic chanting, meditation, pranayama), 200 hours Yoga Alliance certifiable, Chennai, India
• Bhayala College of Yoga, Saharanpur, India (1 July – 12 July 2009): Hatha & Raja Yoga intensive at ashram of Sri Raj Pal (meditation, pranayama, yoga asanas)
• Yoga practitioner (1999 – present): practicing Hatha, Vinyasa, Ashtanga, Yin, Universal, Kundalini Yoga and Elemental Yoga.
♡ Developed and teaching a 6-week Intro Course to Ayurveda (2014 - present), Ayurvedic Lifestyle Consultations, Guest Facilitator of Ayurveda Lectures at Hom Yoga (2014 - present)
• Yoga Wellness Coach Certification (with Cate Stillman, YogaHealer.com), July 2014 - June 2015
• 300-hour Living Ayurveda Lifestyle Consultant Course with Cate Stillman, Yoga Healer, Sept 2012 – June 2013
• 300-hour Living Ayurveda Lifestyle Consultant Course with Cate Stillman, Yoga Healer, Sept 2011 – June 2012
• 750-hour Ayurvedic Lifestyle Consultant Course with Vaidyar Atreya Smith, European Institute of Vedic Studies & with Dr. Sunil Joshi, Vinayak Panchakarma Centre, Nagpur, India (Sept 2010 – Sept 2011).
• American Institute of Vedic Studies 300-hr (May 2008 – 2010): Certification as Level 1: Ayurvedic Lifestyle Consultant. Directed by Dr. David Frawley
• Ayurvedic Anatomy & Physiology, presented by Dr. Satyam of SVYASA University, 30 hours, Singapore (June 2009).
♡ Offering Elemental Reiki as part of the Intuitive Elemental Guidance at Satsanga (2015 - present)
• Reiki, Usui Shiki Ryoho, Level 1 Certification & Attunement, with Elaine Hamilton Grundy, at The Reiki Centre, Singapore, 2010
• Reiki, Usui Shiki Ryoho, Level 2 Certification & Attunement, with Elaine Hamilton Grundy, at The Reiki Centre, Singapore, 2014
• Reiki Healing 101, with Elaine Hamilton Grundy, at The Reiki Centre, Singapore, 2014
• Raw Food Chef Certification, Level 1, The Seeds of Life, Ubud, Bali, 18 Dec 2014 - 1 Jan 2015
• Level 1 Doula Certification, October 2016, Singapore
• Level 1 PostPartum Doula Certification (in training), October 2018, Singapore
• Birth Assistant, Singapore, 2018
• On BSF and Satsanga: Wellness Warrior Interview with Sick Bubble https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC728sqUnVs&nohtml5=False
• On Satsanga, with Luke Eljah: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnMSOTLhEOI
• On BSF, Soulscape & partnership with Daniel (by Luke Elijah): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCuVzF7ILpc
• Personal Interview by Sandra of What Therapy: http://whattherapy.com/amber-sawyer/
• Elemental Yoga: http://videos.elementalyoga.today/ and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAE-TplD_-g